I haven't made any progress on writing my novel, so I thought I'd begin something I wanted to do for a little while.

Wicca is something I've been interested in for at least 6 years. I don't practice it anymore nor have I ever claimed to be Wiccan, but I still find it interesting and would like to study it again. The thing I like about it is that the beliefs are unique to each person. Personally I always believed that there should be some core principals that ground it, and then everyone can have their own unique ideas of how to practice and branches of what else they believe. Apparently that isn't the case. But oh well. That's probably why I would never get along with a coven.

I have this lovely little book called "The Wiccan Rede" by Mark Ventimiglia. It is largely devoted to explaining the Wiccan Rede verse by verse, and then there is added information about some spells, the lingo, herbs, etc. I thought I would read through it and make a post of my thoughts for each line, or a few at once if I don't have much to say about something. I will add links as I update with my thoughts on each line.

This is the Wiccan Rede, as written in the book:

Bide the Wiccan Law ye must; in perfect love, in perfect trust.
Cast the circle thrice about, to keep unwelcomed spirits out.
To bind the spell well every time, let the spell be spoken in rhyme.
Soft of eye an' light of touch, speak ye little an' listen much.
Deosil go by waxing moon, chanting out the Seax-Wiccan Runes.
Widdershins go by waning moon, chanting out thy baneful tune.
When the Lady's moon is new, kiss the hand to her times two.
When the moon rides at her peak, then thou heart's desire seek.
Heed the north wind's mighty gale, lock the door an' trim the sail.
When the wind comes from the south,
love will kiss thee on the mouth.
When the wind blows from the west, departed spirits have no rest.
When the wind blows from the east,
expect the new an' set the feast.
Nine woods in the cauldron go,
burn them fast and burn them slow.
Elder be the Lady's tree, burn it not or cursed thou'll be.
When the wheel begins to turn, let the Beltane fires burn.
When the wheel has turned to Yule,
light the log an' the Horned One rules.
Heed ye flower, bush an' tree, by the Lady, bless'd be.
Where the rippling waters go, cast a stone an' truth thou'll know.
When ye have an' hold a need, hearken not to others' greed.
With a fool no season spend, lest ye be counted as her friend.
Merry meet an' merry part, bright the cheeks an' warm the heart.
Mind the Threefold Law ye should,
three times bad and three times good.
When misfortuned is enow, wear the witches' star on thy brow.
True in love forever be, lest thy lover's false to thee.
Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill:
An ye harm not, do as thou will.
0 Responses